Micro endoscopic surgery is a minimally invasive procedure performed through a tubular device and also facilitates unique visualization through the oblique lens of an endoscope. Dr. Sachin Mahajan has done the Clinical Fellowship in Advanced Micro neurosurgery from Japan and Minimally invasive & advanced spine surgery from Canada. The procedure aims to cause the least damage to the body structures while achieving the best results when compared to open surgery.
Neuroendoscopy is performed using an endoscope, which is a small, flexible tube with a camera and a small set of surgical instruments attached. This procedure can be used to remove a tissue sample for further testing (a biopsy) or to remove part or all of a brain tumor.
Indications for Micro Endoscopic surgery
Micro Endoscopic technique can be used for the following procedures :
- Carotid angioplasty
- Radiosurgery for brain tumors
- Removal of pituitary tumors
- Treatment of intracranial aneurysm etc.
- Disc surgery
- Pedicle screws and interbody fusion etc.
- Removal of the intraventricular tumors like meningioma, choroid plexus papilloma, or a congenital lesion like Colloid cyst
Advantages of Micro Endoscopic Surgery
As the technique uses very small incisions, it offers the following advantages over open surgery:
- Shorter operating time
- Reduced morbidity and mortality
- Improved long-term outcomes
- Less post-operative pain
- Minimal blood loss
- Rare chance of trauma and other complications
- No or shorter hospitalization
- Minimal skin scars
- The success rate is good